Telephone Appointment Service
Oakham Surgery has a new service that will help you to get the appointment you need, when you need it.
If you want advice about a health problem, you can now have an appointment by telephone and speak directly to your Doctor by phone on the day that you call. You can use the telephone appointment service for urgent and non-urgent health problems.
This is how it works:
- Call us on 01384 458968 and ask to make an appointment with the Doctor. (A number of call back appointments will also be available to pre-book online via Patient Access).
- The telephonist will ask you for your name and your telephone number. If booking online, please include the best contact number for the Doctor to call you back on.
- The telephonist will ask you to say generally what your health problem is. You don’t have to tell the telephonist if you don’t want to, but if you can, it helps the Doctor decide whom to prioritise for a call back based on clinical need. If you need to speak to a doctor urgently, because it’s an emergency, tell the telephonist straightaway.
- If you want to talk to a specific doctor, tell the telephonist. Wherever possible they will try to arrange it. *See list of doctors’ usual availability below.
- The Doctor will then call you back as soon as they can. If you want us to call you between certain times then tell us and, where possible, we will arrange that. You can then talk to the Doctor about your health problem in the same way you do if you come to the surgery for your appointment.
- If your doctor thinks you need to come into the surgery to be seen, or if you would still like to come in, he or she will make an appointment for you.
*Doctors’ Usual Availability
Please note, we cannot guarantee your choice of GP will always be available on their working days. This could be due to annual leave or other practice commitments etc. This list will be updated should any change of working days occur.
Dr Patel – Wednesday and Friday
Dr Sykes – Monday AM and Friday AM
Dr Nagra – Monday AM, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
Dr Sibal – Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
Dr Wright – Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
Dr Tariq – Monday, Tuesday, Friday
In line with national standards, visits are reserved for housebound and terminally ill patients only. If you feel you need a home visit, please phone 01384 458 968. A doctor may ring you back to decide whether a visit is necessary or not. Please phone before 10.00am if possible to arrange a home visit. Requests for emergency visits can be made at any time by phoning the surgery. The telephonist will ask you for more information. The on call doctor will then assess the urgency of your problem.
The Surgery extends its opening hours on alternate Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30pm – 8:00pm with two clinicians available. We are also open every third Saturday morning from 8:30 – 11:00.
View a list of extended opening days January – December 2015.
Cancelling Appointments / Telephone Consultations
It is extremely important that you inform us if you need to cancel an appointment / telephone consultation. Every appointment is valuable to us and other patients. You can cancel your appointment / call back by calling 01384 458 968 or, if registered, by cancelling online.
Oakham Surgery is committed to providing a safe, comfortable environment where patients and staff can be confident that best practice is being followed at all times. Any patient can request a chaperone, a trained member of staff, to be present during their consultation. If you feel you would like a Chaperone present at your consultation, please inform your Doctor/Nurse who will be more than happy to arrange this for you.
A doctor or nurse may request a chaperone but will always discuss this with you and you may, of course, refuse. If you would like to see a copy of our chaperone policy or have any questions regarding this, please contact the Outlet Operations Manager.